What are Overdentures?
At Dr. Joe Thomas Dentistry, we want our patients to have a variety of tooth replacement options to restore their smile, so they can choose the most suitable treatment for their own dental needs.
When patients are missing an entire upper or lower arch of teeth, Dr. Thomas will recommend overdentures. This treatment is a step up from traditional dentures because they use four or more implants to securely hold the removable prosthesis.
Overdentures provide our patients with a stable, more comfortable solution for their missing teeth that look and feel just like their natural teeth.
Benefits of Implant-Supported Dentures
Although traditional dentures can improve your ability to eat, speak, and enhance your appearance by filling in your jawline and lips, implant-supported dentures offer more reliable and long-lasting benefits, including:
- Ability to eat without worrying about dentures moving around
- Speak with confidence and no hesitation
- Enjoy a more comfortable, personalized fit for you
- No more sliding or shifting teeth from a denture
- More cost-effective than using separate implants
Placing Your Overdentures
To understand how the overdenture process works, we’ve put together a brief step-by-step guide to help.
- During your consultation, Dr. Thomas uses advanced technology to examine your oral health and create a detailed, precise treatment plan for your implant procedure.
- He will then use 3D depictions of your mouth to accurately curate a placement plan to ensure each implant is positioned exactly where it needs to be in order to support your overdenture.
- At your next appointment, Dr. Thomas will implement his plan and place four or more dental implants in your upper or lower arch.
- Your implant site will then need to heal and go through a recovery period before you return for your new, natural-looking implant-supported denture.
- Once Dr. Thomas secures your overdenture, he will show you how to remove it so you can properly clean it to ensure your restoration maintains its beautiful appearance.
Feel Confident with Overdentures
Knowing about our different dental implant solutions can help you make the best decision for your smile and your health. If you believe an overdenture is the optimal treatment for you, give us a call or fill out our submission form below. Dr. Thomas and our Vero Beach team are ready to restore your oral health, enhance your appearance, and boost your self-esteem.